KNOWLEDGE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING
Aesthetic vaginal surgery involves aesthetic and functional reshaping of the labia, the vulva, the mons, and/ or the clitoral hood. These procedures are performed when a woman is uncomfortable with the appearance of her genitalia or is having discomfort in clothing or swimsuits, exercise, or intimate moments.
These procedures can correct:
• Enlarged or misshapen labia minora
• Enlarged or bulging labia majora
• Excess hooding of the clitoral hood
• Changes to the labia minora and majora after childbirth or menopause
• Excessive prominence of the mons pubis
• Deflation of the mons pubis after menopause
Aesthetic vaginal· surgery may be right for you if:
• You are experiencing discomfort with exercise, tight-fitting clothing, or sexual intercourse because of an enlarged labia
• You are uncomfortable or embarrassed because of the appearance of your labia or mons
• You feel self-conscious wearing swimsuits or tight-fitting clothing
• You are healthy
• You have realistic expectations
Preparation for surgery begins after your plastic surgeon examines you and discusses the details of the procedure. Your plastic surgeon will provide thorough preoperative instructions, answer any questions you may have, take a detailed medical history, and perform a physical exam to determine your fitness for surgery. You may be asked to undergo a medical evaluation or to have lab tests prior to surgery. Drinking lots of water before and after the procedure is essential for safe recovery and optimal outcomes.
Before your procedure, your surgeon will discuss with you:
• The impact that smoking and tobacco products have on your surgery. Your surgeon may recommend that you stop smoking and using other tobacco products, including nicotine patches, gum, and cigarettes before surgery.
• The importance of avoiding aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS: Advil, Motrin, Aleve), and vitamins or homeopathic regimens before surgery, since these products can increase bleeding. Aesthetic vaginal surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis. If this is the case, arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery. Your surgeon will provide complete instructions on pre and post-operative care. Read the instructions thoroughly, and be certain that you fully understand them. This will help make your procedure as successful as possible.
Aesthetic vaginal surgery will reshape, reinvigorate, and re-contour your labia and mans. You will find it easier to wear certain types of swimsuits and clothing. Exercise and intimate relations will be more comfortable. Like many women who have had aesthetic female genital surgery, you may have a boost in self-confidence.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST AFTER AESTHETIC VAGINAL SURGERY?
The results of aesthetic female genital surgery are usually long-lasting or permanent depending on the procedure performed. Further changes with aging or childbearing can alter the results obtained after surgery and require further treatment.
MAINTAINING A RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON
You will return to your plastic surgeon’s office for follow-up care at prescribed intervals, at which time your progress will be evaluated. Your surgeon will guide you on the timing for returning to your normal activities.
Childbirth or aging can cause enlargement or misshaping of the labia. For other women, the shape and size of their labia is a condition they are born with.
This procedure, the most common of vaginal aesthetic surgeries, involves reducing the size and protrusion of the inner lips or labia minora. Labiaplasty may be performed by either removing redundant labial tissue along the ruffled edge or as pie-wedge resection.
Labia Majora Reduction
This procedure removes the excess skin and tissue from the outer lips of the vulva. A wedge of tissue is removed from the labia majora and the incision is usually hidden on the inner edge of the labia.
Clitoral Hood Reduction
Excess protrusive tissue is removed from the hood overlying the clitoris. After trimming off the excess bulk, the clitoral hood is reshaped to achieve a more aesthetic appearance.
Mons Pubis Reduction
Excess bulkiness of the mons is removed using either liposuction and/ or surgical resection to achieve an appearance that is proportional to the patient. The incisions are usually hidden in the natural folds and creases of the mons.
Mons Pubis Enhancement
Loss of volume of the mons, commonly associated with aging, is corrected by re-inflating the mons. Fat grafting, using the patient’s own fat harvested from elsewhere in the body, is used to refill and reshape the mons. In some instances, soft-tissue fillers instead of fat grafting are used to enhance the appearance and fullness of the mons.
Labia Majora Enhancement
Loss of volume of the labia majora, most frequently associated with aging, is addressed by filling the labia majora with soft-tissue fillers or fat grafting. This procedure often can be performed using local anesthetic.