Slim Down and Boost Your Confidence
Some areas of the body seem immune to the effects of exercise and retain fat even with a healthy diet. Such areas are often a source of frustration and self-consciousness for people who are otherwise of normal weight. For this reason, Dr. Alfred Antonetti provides liposuction procedures that are exceptionally effective. With Dr. Antonetti, patients have access to a premier liposuction surgeon.
Best Candidates for Liposuction
Good candidates for liposuction at our plastic surgery practice include people who are already at a reasonably healthy weight and want to improve the appearance of their overall figure by removing fat from specific areas. People struggling with obesity are generally not good candidates for liposuction. Liposuction can be performed on patients in a wide variety of age groups. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that aging skin tends to lose its elastic quality. When the skin is less elastic, it may not ideally conform to the new shape the body has taken after liposuction. For this reason, liposuction is often performed in conjunction with a tummy tuck procedure for firmer skin around the abdomen. At our Dallas facility, liposuction is usually an outpatient procedure requiring only minimal incisions. It can be used to treat many areas of the body.
The Liposuction Procedure
Through liposuction, Dr. Antonetti and the staff at his Plano TX office, remove fat cells in areas that will not react to diet and exercise. The removal is performed with a suction tube called a cannula. Since its inception, there have been many advances in the practice of liposuction. At his Dallas practice, Dr. Antonetti stays abreast of the latest liposuction procedures and techniques.
Common Liposuction Treatment Areas
Liposuction is usually an outpatient procedure requiring only minimal incisions. It can be used to treat many areas of the body, including:
- Chest (in men, especially)
Liposuction Recovery (Pre-/Post-op Instructions)
Liposuction is a popular body contouring procedure that can help individuals attain renewed confidence by giving their bodies a smoother, sleeker appearance. Most of our patients are delighted with the results of liposuction. Because taking good care of oneself before and after surgery can help promote faster healing and ensure a positive outcome, we provide comprehensive pre- and post-operative instructions for our patients. During your pre-operative consultation, Dr. Alfred Antonetti will explain these instructions and address any questions or concerns you may have.
- Take one antibiotic the night before surgery at bedtime.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night before your liposuction procedure. This includes water, tea, coffee, juice, mints, gum, and food, but does not apply to medications prescribed by your physician.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before or after surgery. Do not take aspirin products, vitamin E, blood thinners, or any herbal medications or herbal teas for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home and spend the night with you the night of your surgery. You cannot drive yourself home, and we will not release you to a cab driver.
- Shower the morning of surgery and wash your hair. However, no lotion, powder, cream, or deodorant should be used on your body. You should wear loose, comfortable clothing that doesn’t have to be slipped over your head. All jewelry should be left at home. If you wear prescription lenses, please wear your glasses, not your contact lenses.
- Drink plenty of fluids (e.g., Gatorade®, fruit juices, water, 7UP® / Sprite®). Starting with a clear liquid diet, such as soup and crackers, and progressing slowly to a low-fat diet will help prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Don’t be alarmed if you experience fluid drainage from the liposuction incision sites. This will stop after 24 hours. Rest on a beach towel. You may also reinforce the area with gauze.
- Take it easy and just rest for the first week. Do not drive until your drains have been removed. Resume normal daily activities slowly, and refrain from strenuous exercise for two weeks.
- You must sponge bathe until your drains are removed, after which you can shower. Your tape will be removed in one week from the procedure. Just gently pat dry after your shower.
- Do not sit with your body flexed more than one hour at a time to ensure smooth abdominal skin. Preferably, lie flat or recline with your legs elevated.
- Keep your compression garment on at all times for three weeks, only removing it to shower daily once your drains are removed. This is essential to a positive outcome. On the fourth week, you may wear the garment 12 hours on and 12 hours off.
- To prevent unsightly lines and to promote smooth skin after liposuction, do not wear anything tight or elastic around your waist or thighs.
- Do not judge your results until all swelling and bruising have subsided. Swelling will temporarily mask the effects of liposuction and can take from 6 to 10 weeks to go down. Bruising usually goes away within a week or two, especially with massage. This will enhance circulation and thus promote healing. Dr. Antonetti will instruct you on massage techniques during your first week visit.
Learn More about Liposuction with Dr. Alfred Antonetti
If you would like to learn more about liposuction, contact Dr. Antonetti at his Plano TX practice. During your liposuction consultation, he will be happy to answer any questions you may have.